- heartache – intense sorrow caused by loss of a loved one (especially by death) brokenhearted, grief, heartbreak
- sorrow – an emotion of great sadness associated with loss or bereavement
- Love sickness, condition involving romantic obsession or longing
- A broken heart or heartbreak, emotions after loss, disappointment or relationship break-up
- I miss you when something good happens, because your the one I want to share it with. I miss you when something is troubling me, because your the one that understands me so well. I miss you when I laugh and cry, because I know that you are the one that makes my laughter grow and my tears disappear. I miss you all the time, but I miss you the most when I lay awake at night, and think of all the wonderful times that we spent with each other for those were some of the best and most memorable times of my life.
- Waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought: useless and disappointing.
- Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay
- A final comfort that is small, but not cold: The heart is the only broken instrument that works. ~T.E. Kalem
- Sometimes I wish I were a little kid again, skinned knees are easier to fix than broken hearts.
- God is closest to those with broken hearts. ~Jewish Saying
- God can heal a broken heart, but He has to have all the pieces.
- What is the opposite of two? A lonely me, a lonely you. ~Richard Wilbur
- Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go.
- Sadness flies away on the wings of time. ~Jean de La Fontaine
- I don’t know why they call it heartbreak. It feels like every other part of my body is broken too. ~Missy Altijd
- Have you ever been hurt and the place tries to heal a bit, and you just pull the scar off of it over and over again. ~Rosa Parks
- I thought when love for you died, I should die. It’s dead. Alone, most strangely, I live on. ~Rupert Brooke
- Sadness flies on the wings of the morning and out of the heart of darkness comes the light. ~Jean Giraudoux
- Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated. ~Lamartine
- When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.
- In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic’s Notebook, 1966
- Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.
- I hate the day, because it lendeth light. To see all things, but not my love to see. ~Edmund Spenser
- With what a deep devotedness of woe
I wept thy absence – o’er and o’er again
Thinking of thee, still thee, till thought grew pain,
And memory, like a drop that, night and day,
Falls cold and ceaseless, wore my heart away!
- Love is like a puzzle. When you’re in love, all the pieces fit but when your heart gets broken, it takes a while to get everything back together.
- If we must part forever,
Give me but one kind word to think upon,
And please myself with, while my heart’s breaking.
- Sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realize how much they need to fall back together.
- It’s because of you. She’s gonna break up with the next guy because of you. And the guy after that. She’s gonna keep doing it because for some reason, you’re the one she’s supposed to be with.
- You know you can’t give me what I need and even though you mean so much to me, I can’t wait through everything.
- If they don’t chase you when you walk away, keep walking.
- Trust is like a piece of paper, once it’s crumbled up it can never be in its original shape.
- Take a bow. Hear the applause? My heart is broken and you’re the cause. I played the game and it looks like you’ve won. Congratulations, Baby. I hope you’ve had fun.
- There isn’t a moment of my day that isn’t spent wondering where you are, what you’re doing, how you’re feeling. Even in the quiet of the night, when everything is still and I am nearly asleep, there’s a part of me that is still wondering.
- If someone breaks your heart just punch them in the face. Oh, sure it seems obvious now but you would be amazed at how many people dont think of it when its relevant. Seriously, just punch him in the face and go get some ice cream.
- If it’s a broken part, replace it. If it’s a broken arm then brace it. If it’s a broken heart, then face it.
- I wish that I could make you understand that Im not angry with you a little bitter maybe and clearly heartbroken but darling, I could never hate you.
- Being broken hearted is like having broken ribs on the outside it looks like nothing is wrong but every breath hurts.
- It breaks your heart to see the one you love happy with someone else but, it’s more painful to know that the one you love is unhappy with you.
- I gave you my heart and what did you do? You took it in your hands and ripped it in pieces.
- I had the feeling that those looks you gave me were real. What if I ripped your heart apart at the seams? Maybe then you’d know how I feel.
- Even though you broke my heart I still smile when I think of you.
- It’s amazing, really, just how much pain the human heart can take.
- My tormented soul flees from my body as the pain of losing you becomes too hard to handle.
- My heart is like that crack in the sidewalk you walk on every day.
- I’ve been trying to find a way to trust you. I know in my heart I’m better off without you. I cant lie to myself. I know it’s over. I knew that you would break my heart. Please, I told you.
- I never want to see you unhappy. I thought you’d want the same for me.
- It’s so nice sitting in the quiet room every day, nobody hearing how my heart breaks away.
- People are always trying to comfort me by saying, “You did fine before you met him so you can live without him.” But, that’s just it. I really didn’t live until I met him.
- Cant you see that I’m dying? Tell the doctor its a broken heart and the only one who can make it start is killing me.
- Just remember the time you nearly broke my heart. It shouldn’t be hard. It was just the other day.
- Bad as I like ye, it’s worse without ye. ~Irish Proverb
- Count the garden by the flowers, never by the leaves that fall. Count your life with smiles and not the tears that roll.
- Yet leave me not; yet, if thou wilt, be free;
Love me no more, but love my love of thee.
~Algernon Charles Swinburne
- Don’t worry about losing. If it is right, it happens – The Main thing is not to hurry. Nothing good gets away. ~John Steinbeck, 10 November 1958
- My love-lies-bleeding. ~Thomas Campbell
- Walking, working, barely breathing
My thoughts, far away
Heart aching, mind racing
Sleep does not come easily, nor last long….
- Ask me why I keep on loving you when it’s clear that you don’t feel the same way for me… the problem is that as much as I can’t force you to love me, I can’t force myself to stop loving you.
- I am tired, Beloved,
of chafing my heart against
the want of you;
of squeezing it into little inkdrops,
And posting it.
~Amy Lowell, “The Letter”
- Maybe part of loving is learning to let go. ~From the television show The Wonder Years
- It’s not love’s going hurts my days
But that it went in little ways.
~Edna St. Vincent Millay
- …Lost in your heart, lost in your eyes
Lost every day, no map to follow
Entire days, weeks, a blur
Flickers of light, in the darkness,
Only to be enveloped in shadows once more…
- I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. ~From the television show The Wonder Years
- Nothing takes the taste out of peanut butter quite like unrequited love. ~Charlie Brown
- Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it. ~J.K. Rowling
- I prithee send me back my heart,
Since I cannot have thine;
For if from yours you will not part,
Why, then, shouldst thou have mine?
- Yes, I will go. I would rather grieve over your absence than over you. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces, 1943, translated from Spanish by W.S. Merwin
- Maid of Athens, ere we part,
Give, oh give me back my heart!
~George Gordon, Lord Byron, “Maid of Athens”
- She thinks if she calls him it just shows weakness so the hurt goes on with every tear she’s cried. Isn’t it sad to see a good love fall to pieces? Chock another heartbreak up to foolish pride.
- I am a stronger person because of you, and although I would have never said it then, now I thank you for breaking my heart.
- Looks like I made a mess again. There’s heartbreak everywhere I step.
- Maybe our hearts were just next in line, and maybe everything breaks sometimes.
- And everyone knows the louder the music the bigger the heartbreak.
- Let no one who loves be unhappy… even love unreturned has its rainbow. ~James Matthew Barrie
- I’d brace myself for the impact if I were you.
- As soon as forever is through, I’ll be over you. ~Toto